Although summer is just getting started, maybe some of you are itching to raid every optical shop in the Philippines to look for on-sale sunglasses. Where would you use a pair of shades? Where else?! You’ll be bringing it with you on your much-awaited vacation. Or once and for all, you’re going to get to use your paid leaves to do something worthwhile such as having an eye checkup.
Eye checkup!? When did the doctor’s office out-appeal the beachfront? We won’t burst your bubble but since this is the time you can be free from work, why not use it to love your eyes more? Do you have any idea how important and amazing your eyes are? Here are some sizzling facts about your eyes:
- It is a possible to have two eye colours in a single person and this condition is called heterochromia.
- Your iris is more unique than your fingerprint. Vision Source explains that it takes about “240 unique features (or more) in an iris to determine identity…five times as many as fingerprinting.”
- Seeing is a complicated process as it involves half of the brain. Based on an MIT article, “half of the human brain is devoted directly or indirectly to vision.”
- Your pupils dilate when you look at a love interest or someone you’re attracted to, a study reveals.
On the flipside, there are cold hard facts you should be aware of, such as:
- Eye transplant is still impossible despite how advance our technology is today. According to Discovery Eye Foundation, “more than one million nerve fibres connect each eye to the brain.”
- WHO statistic: 39 million are blind and 246 have low vision worldwide.
- Your eyes are not just the window to your soul but also to your health. A simple eye check-up can help detect seven diseases such as high blood pressure, high cholesterol, eye cancer, brain tumours, diabetes, multiple sclerosis and rheumatoid arthritis.
- Lastly, your eyes can get sunburned. As stated by Vision Service Plan, “long hours in the sun expose unprotected eyes to dangerous UVA and UVB rays.”